The George Crocket Statue
This statue, dedicated on August 20, 2016, is on the southeast corner of the intersection of Mound Street and Starr Avenue on the grounds of the Christ Episcopal Church. For more information see the detailed biography of Crocket (1861-1936) in the Texas Handbook Online.
A well known and respected SFA historian and Episcopal Rector, Crocket was a Professor Emeritus of History and dean of students at Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College. He collected data about East Texas and authored Two Centuries in East Texas. Crocket also was a beloved Episcopal minister in San Augustine and Nacogdoches. He was the longest serving rector, 24 years, at Christ Church in Nacogdoches. Know as the “Grand Old Man of East Texas,” Crocket was part of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, the Nacogdoches Historical Society, and founded the first East Texas Historical Association and the Boy Scouts of America troop in San Augustine. The statue will be built on the property of Christ Episcopal Church on Mound Street.